What does total in hockey mean
Total in hockey bets is available in all bookmakers. But some bettors do not know how this concept is deciphered and how to calculate it. In this article, we will try to answer these questions.
What it is?
Total in hockey bets is the number of goals, shots, penalty time or other indicators.
This amount can be more or less than a certain indicator. In the line, this is also indicated by the letters “B” and “M”. Although in some bookmakers, for example, in the League of Betting they write “men” and “bol”. This makes it even clearer what is meant.
How to calculate?
Such bets are calculated quite simply – just like in any other sport. Let’s say we bet on TB 1.5, that is, the total is over 1.5 goals. For the bet to work, we need 2 goals to be scored. It doesn’t matter if both teams score them or only one scores against the other. The score is 1: 1, 2: 0, 0: 2, 3: 0 and everything else, except for 0: 1, 1: 0 and 0: 0. At the same time, for a bet on total less than 1.5 to play, the score must be 0: 1, 1: 0 or 0: 0, and everything else will not work for us.
Everything is a little more complicated if you bet on individual total. Here, only one team’s performance is taken into account. For example, we took TM 2.5 for the first club. Any score will suit us, in which the first team will score less or exactly 2 goals, that is, 1: 0, 2: 0, 1: 2, 1: 1, 2: 1, 2: 2, 2: 3, 2: 4, 2: 5 and so on. Sometimes not half, but whole values are taken. The only difference is that if there are exactly as many goals as indicated in the bet, a refund will occur.
For example, we bet on TB 2. With a score of 1: 1, 2: 0 or 0: 2, we just get our money back, with a score of 3: 0, 2: 1, 1: 2, 0: 3, 2: 2, 3 : 2 and so on the bet is played. And if it is 1: 0, 0: 0 or 0: 1, we lost. In the same way, all other types of total in hockey are calculated. For example, if the amount of penalty time is taken, it is considered how much time the players of both teams spent in the penalty area. For example, one player served 2 minutes, another 2 minutes, only 4. A bet on total over 1.5, 2.5, 3.5 will play, but bets on TB 4.5, 5.5 and so on will lose.
What should you pay attention to?
If you decide to bet on total, then for success you need to be careful, paying attention to the following:
1. Which kind you have chosen – general or individual. Usually there are corresponding designations.
2. What kind of indicators do you bet on – goals, penalty time, shots, and so on. Again, look at the notation.
3. Pay also attention to whether you are betting on combined or regular totals. Perhaps one part of the bet will work, and the other will not. For example, you can bet on P1 + TB 5.5. There will indeed be 6 or more goals, only the second team will win.
4. Be sure to see if you are betting on indicators with or without overtime and shootouts. Very often there are situations when a team wins in extra time, and the player bet only on the main one (a draw was fixed in it) and he begins to illegally demand his win from the bookmaker.
It is also important to learn how to conduct a qualitative analysis.
If we take the same thing, but only for bets on the amount of something, then it is important to consider the following factors:
1. How many teams have scored before (if you bet on the total of other indicators, also see how many there were in previous matches; we will show you how to analyze all factors for betting on the number of goals, the rest is analyzed by analogy). The ideal situation would be when both teams differ many or few times per game. Then you can safely bet on TB or TM.
2. The difference in class. In hockey, there is no such thing as someone playing in a relaxed way if the opponent is much weaker. The strong breaks the weak, and if the difference is big, you can safely bet on TB.
3. The level of defense and attack. It is important to consider the balance of these two factors for the opponents. For example, if one team has a strong attack and another has a weak defense, expect a lot of goals. If both have high-quality protection (they miss a little), it is better to take TM.
4. Stage of the tournament. If one club needs a nosebleed victory, it will go on the attack. The opponent can take advantage of this and go through the gap in the defense (after all, everyone will go on the attack). Or the game may go according to a different scenario, but in any case, a large number of goals should be expected.
If you think that we have not listed all the factors that should be taken into account when analyzing, write about it in the comments below.
Choosing a league
For bets on total, and bets on hockey in general, it is better to choose the most rated and leading leagues, in particular:
1. NHL is the most powerful championship in this sport.
2. The KHL is an analogue of the NHL in Russia and neighboring countries, the strongest championship, if you do not take the NHL.
3. Champions League – the best clubs in Europe enter the Champions League pop by analogy with the football tournament, which has the same name.
4. World Championship (only in the later stages).
5. Olympic Games (only in the later stages).
The reason is simple – you can find information on all these leagues. You will be able to find statistics on how much each team has scored before, analyze the level of defense and attack, as well as the composition in general. In addition, there is news about the mood in which the team is approaching the match, whether it has excessive self-confidence, who was injured, and so on. If you take an unpopular championship, you simply won’t find enough data to make a good prediction.
It is worth betting on the World Championship and the Olympics only in the later stages, since no one initially knows in what form the team is approaching the tournament. It is not uncommon for paper favorites to crash early on. These competitions are also very popular, so you can find all the information you need for analysis, especially in the later stages.